Friday, January 8, 2010

To say, or not to say... out loud.

It occurred to me that there could be a very perverse joy that can be derived from being an unofficial student of popular culture. Firstly, I get to read only stuff that I enjoy. Secondly, and I’m not sure how you guys do it, but I seem to comprehend most of the stuff I read about only in a very personal manner – either as something I relate to and hence, enjoy reading… or with a certain sense of cynicism towards anything I don’t relate to. Whatever the outcome, I notice gleefully that it arms me with a larger vocabulary to describe others. And so in my spare time, I find myself adding or deleting from the invisible cloud of words attached to people around me. Such fun… because it allows me that quiet smile to self once in a while. And I can merrily leave myself out of these self-conversations, and save myself the process of questioning. And any adjectives pinned on to me by others can remain just points of agreement or disagreement.

But I do agree that I can be rather boring at times.

2 comments:

dagalti said...

A well-meaning doggerelist I know, once scrawled the following perceptive lines about a situation akin to the one described in the post


He sees the world at an angle
A chuckle replaces his smile
A novel disentangle
As coffins of values pile


:-)

ofternoons-n-coffeespoons said...

:D hmm... and who are you quoting again?